Sunday, November 2, 2008

Nov 8: 1 Chron 1-9:44

7 comments:

Kelli said...

So...I went to bed early last night and was wide awake at 4:40 this morning. Kinda' weird! Anyway, I made it through this reading, although it was a bit painful and I definitely have to admit to doing some skimming. I did think that this reading would be great for Heidi and anyone else needing a Biblical baby name, though. My personal favorite (for a girl) was Hazzelelponi!

I did wonder why some women made it into the geneology, but not others. Any one have any ideas about that? I also thought it was interesting reading about the gatekeepers. I'd never really realized what their job was before.

Happy Sabbath, everyone!

Jenn Cook said...

The one thing my study Bible had to say about the "wise women" were they were highly regarded as counselors in Israel. The one who Joah had enlisted for help and then with the advice given to the town people - these women may have followed the example of Deborah, known as a mother of Israel who was a counselor and guide to Barak. I guess these women made it in the Bible because of significance of their role in Bible history while most women and children (due to the culture of the time) were considered property.

Hope you're able to sneak in a nap today, Jenni! 4:40am - ouch! Even though, lately I've tried to take naps when the kids have been sleeping and it's "funny" how I'm not able to fall asleep on the days I haven't read my Bible yet. I just lay there and finally get up to go read! I guess God is really trying to give me an opportunity to stick with reading!

Jenn Cook said...

Oh, also my study Bible said that some women (David's sisters for example) where mentioned in the genealogy because of who their sons were. And others were listed because of perhaps just being outstanding women - like Sheerah.

I have to admit - I skimmed big time through this section and focused more on my study notes in the Bible then all the lists of peoples names...

I did come up with a boy name for Heidi - Jabez! After reading this section, Heidi, you should have some great choices for Bible boy names since you have your girl name already picked out! :-)

Kelli said...

Thanks for those answers about the women, Jen. Makes sense! I like the name Jabez, too. I was just kidding about Hazzelelponi, of course!

Thankfully I did get a nap. I really needed one, especially after Chris's less than stellar Sabbath School experience today. Some days I just feel like giving up!

Jenn Cook said...

I didn't notice your son's behavior...I guess I was preoccupied with my own kids issues! Anna was so clingy and every time she came up to do something, she didn't want to leave me...I think she is coming down with a cold thanks to the 78 degree weather to now 38 degree weather!

Kelli said...

Bummer about Anna and a cold....not fun. Chris was a mess. Every time I got him sitting nicely in his chair he would get up and make a run for the door. I finally gave up and went to the mother's room, but he was a challenge even in there. I'm too old for this!

Lena T. said...

Are you all talking about Heidi Leets? I did not know she is expecting. Congratulations, Heidi!