So, I thought for sure that God would not require Jephthah to sacrifice his daughter. Ouch. Good point in my study Bible - Jephthah's "deal" with God was rash and probably not the best idea for the rest of us. God didn't command him to sacrifice the first thing out his door....Jephthah promised it. Double ouch.
I found it interesting that God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the citizens of Shechem (Jud 9:23). I struggled with why God would send an evil spirit...my study Bible provided some insight saying that some believe that the evil spirit was a supernatural being others believe perhaps spirit more referred to an attitude of bitterness and distrust.
2 comments:
So, I thought for sure that God would not require Jephthah to sacrifice his daughter. Ouch. Good point in my study Bible - Jephthah's "deal" with God was rash and probably not the best idea for the rest of us. God didn't command him to sacrifice the first thing out his door....Jephthah promised it. Double ouch.
I found it interesting that God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the citizens of Shechem (Jud 9:23). I struggled with why God would send an evil spirit...my study Bible provided some insight saying that some believe that the evil spirit was a supernatural being others believe perhaps spirit more referred to an attitude of bitterness and distrust.
Post a Comment