Sunday, October 12, 2008

Oct 14: Exodus 32-34:35

3 comments:

Jenn Cook said...

I liked in the reading being reminded of the level of intimacy Moses and God's relationship was. "The Lord would speak face to face, as a man speaks to his friend". Obviously, Moses did not directly speak face to face with God since vs 34:20 said that anyone who sees God's face will die - but it does demonstrate the personal relationship that they had - as if it were like they were talking to each other face to face...I want to have a stronger face to face relationship with God! I also would love to have my face be glowing because of my time spent with God! With these Bible readings, I am noticing a difference in my life - I also realize how much more I still need to be growing too!

Kelli said...

I had trouble sleeping last night so got up super early and had some time to read. After reading the Bible passage I took a look at the book Patriarchs and Prophets which illuminated the story of the golden calf. It really showed how serious the Israelites' sin was and the ramifications if it wasn't punished--the sin would have kept growing and ultimately destroyed the nation, plus other nations who knew about the miraculous rescue of the Israelites would have gotten the wrong message about God. The book did a much better job at explaining the reasons! I did appreciate the explanations, though, as it helped me understand the no-nonsense, swift punishment approach that has been so present in our readings lately.

Lena T. said...

I found it interesting that Aaron blamed the people for making the calf when he talked to Moses: "You know how prone these people are to evil. They said to me 'make us gods who will go before us...'" (32:22) Just like Adam blamed Eve for giving hime the fruit and Eve blamed the snake. I was just thinking how many time I blame others for me not having enough time to read the Bible or do something for God. But I as a Christian should take the responsibility.