Each Wednesday, the devotional book has a list of questions to think about...why don't we each pick a different question to answer...
1. I think Satan started his conversation with Eve "Did God really say you must not eat fruit from any tree..." to get her to look at all the trees and try to figure out what was different about the trees in the garden vs the tree of good and evil. It was a way for Satan to put doubt in Eve's mind - "Why can't I eat that fruit?"
From our Bible reading, I found it interesting that the Rainbow wasn't just a reminder for us, but for God too - "I will remember my agreement between me and you..." Gen 9:15
In Gen 10:5 it said that all families grew and became different nations, with its own land and own language - I thought different languages didn't happen till the Tower of Babel. Maybe everyone could still understand each other, even though they had different languages (maybe accents?!) until the Tower of Babel where God then confused the languages of everyone.
In reference to question one and two, (they're kind of connected) I think you're absolutely right Jen. I think Satan uses whatever he can to make us doubt something in our system of beliefs. If he can get us to doubt just one thing, our whole system of beliefs becomes challenged. Our beliefs about God, life, ourselves, everything. That got me thinking about what areas of weakness make me vulnerable to Satan's temptations. The first one that came to mind was tiredness. I read in a book called "The Life You've Always Wanted" by John Ortberg, that sleep can be a spiritual discipline! I find this to be so true for me personally because when I don't get adequate sleep, I don't think clearly, I am short on patience, I don't relate well to the world, and my defenses are greatly weakened against Satan's temptations to doubt.
This was a really good reading today, for me. But does anyone ever feel like when they decide to get serious about their devotional life, Satan tries really hard to discourage you? It seems like I always have a really bad day as soon as I start back with my devotions. Oh well. This too shall pass.
I'm so with you Jaci!!! I NEED MY SLEEP!!! Or I can be the biggest oger and have such little patience for the kids and with Mark! Also, I totally think Satan does what he can to discourage us from spending time with God. Mark and I tend to have our biggest arguments Sabbath morning as we are all trying to get to Church and how pathetic that we sometimes let him win?! Also with doing the WOW readings, I really felt the Lord helping wake to read on Monday, but these last two days not only have I been up, but so have the kids and they just weren't behaving so I could get through the reading - too many distractions! I will keep you in my prayers and hope that we all can stay strong with our devotions! Hope you get some good rest tonight!
3 comments:
Each Wednesday, the devotional book has a list of questions to think about...why don't we each pick a different question to answer...
1. I think Satan started his conversation with Eve "Did God really say you must not eat fruit from any tree..." to get her to look at all the trees and try to figure out what was different about the trees in the garden vs the tree of good and evil. It was a way for Satan to put doubt in Eve's mind - "Why can't I eat that fruit?"
From our Bible reading, I found it interesting that the Rainbow wasn't just a reminder for us, but for God too - "I will remember my agreement between me and you..." Gen 9:15
In Gen 10:5 it said that all families grew and became different nations, with its own land and own language - I thought different languages didn't happen till the Tower of Babel. Maybe everyone could still understand each other, even though they had different languages (maybe accents?!) until the Tower of Babel where God then confused the languages of everyone.
In reference to question one and two, (they're kind of connected) I think you're absolutely right Jen. I think Satan uses whatever he can to make us doubt something in our system of beliefs. If he can get us to doubt just one thing, our whole system of beliefs becomes challenged. Our beliefs about God, life, ourselves, everything. That got me thinking about what areas of weakness make me vulnerable to Satan's temptations. The first one that came to mind was tiredness. I read in a book called "The Life You've Always Wanted" by John Ortberg, that sleep can be a spiritual discipline! I find this to be so true for me personally because when I don't get adequate sleep, I don't think clearly, I am short on patience, I don't relate well to the world, and my defenses are greatly weakened against Satan's temptations to doubt.
This was a really good reading today, for me. But does anyone ever feel like when they decide to get serious about their devotional life, Satan tries really hard to discourage you? It seems like I always have a really bad day as soon as I start back with my devotions. Oh well. This too shall pass.
I'm so with you Jaci!!! I NEED MY SLEEP!!! Or I can be the biggest oger and have such little patience for the kids and with Mark! Also, I totally think Satan does what he can to discourage us from spending time with God. Mark and I tend to have our biggest arguments Sabbath morning as we are all trying to get to Church and how pathetic that we sometimes let him win?! Also with doing the WOW readings, I really felt the Lord helping wake to read on Monday, but these last two days not only have I been up, but so have the kids and they just weren't behaving so I could get through the reading - too many distractions! I will keep you in my prayers and hope that we all can stay strong with our devotions! Hope you get some good rest tonight!
Post a Comment