Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sept 9 : Read Gen 4:1-5:32

6 comments:

Jenn Cook said...

Good Morning Ladies -

So this morning's reading didn't go as well as yesterday - kids crying, dog barking, distraction after distraction...but I did read through it!

From the devotional book I liked the reminder that we are the ONLY creatures God made to be in communion with Him. How sad that I don't take advantage of that as much as I should! It makes me think of how Owen constantly tries to get my attention (Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom...) to show me something or tell me something. God is so patient with us, longing for us to talk with Him.

With the Bible reading I liked how the Bible says with God's help, Eve gave birth! Even though Eve was cursed with childbirth, God still helped and she sought His help!!! What a loving God! I also found it interesting that Eve said "with God's help" she had Cain - the one who killed his brother. There was no mention of Eve having God's help with the birth of Abel...and he was the "good son".

I also appreciated how God truly takes care of everything - Cain was a farmer and Abel took care of flocks...this allowed for the Earth to be tended to. Also, it makes me realize as a parent, your child are completely different individuals with different interests!

Finally, I can not fathom the idea of living to be 996 years old! One thought that crossed my mind was that I guess they had to live that long in order to populate the Earth so quickly! Don't know if that's true or not, though...

Anyway, I liked all the comments we had yesterday! Please don't feel like you have to leave any comments at all or long comments...the purpose of our Blog isn't to make you feel overwhelmed (another thing to check off our list of to dos!) I merely thought it would be a great way to stay in touch, when we can! I, personally, would like to keep touch daily and will try to find answers to questions that are posted...

Have a great day!

Heidi said...

Hello everyone,

Jen I loved what you said about God giving Eve help during childbirth, that is something that I didn't think about when I was reading. Great insight, thanks!

I have been journaling my thoughts on some of the things that come to mind when I'm reading the passages. I don't know why but the story of Cain and Abel has always been one that has intrigued me. It always makes me wonder what wasn't exceptable about Cains gift verses Abels? Maybe Cain didn't bring the best of his labor or maybe for him it wasn't that much of a sacrifce. While, Abel sacrificed the fat of the firstborn livestock(I'm assuming this is good). If anyone else has some insight on this I would love to know.

Yet another thing about this story that is amazing is you again see Gods grace. He gives Cain a second chance, pretty much let's him know what is pleasing to him and also let's him know where he needs to improve before he does something wicked. It really makes me realize how much God loves us and wants the best for us even when we make mistakes. He continually gives us second chances. Amazing I tell you!

The last thing I noted in my journal was how out of the whole list of people the only change in wording was with Enoch. Enoch "Walked with God" and was taken to heaven. It just makes me wonder what he did differently? What kind of life did he live? What does "Walking with God" look like?

Gina said...

I think the reason that Cain's sacrifice wasn't acceptable was because it wasn't a lamb, as God had requested. The lamb represents Jesus dying for us. Fruits and vegetables don't die as an animal or a person does. So Cain was disobeying God, thinking that he knew better than God.

I'm enjoying the comments and the readings!

Kelli said...

Hi!

I like the take that the Clear Word Bible had on Cain's sacrifice. It said that Cain's fruits were a symbol of his own labor and donated as a "favor" to God. It made me think how many times we can feel like we're really doing a lot of great things for God and forget that ultimately our righteousness is as filthy rags and it is only God that can save us.

glad momma said...

I was actually wondering about why Cain's sacrifice was unacceptable too. I think I have thought in the past that it was because it wasen't what God asked for like what Gina said, but God hadn't actually requested a specific sacrifice yet had he...hmmm, I will have to go look closer. I guess I always thought that the sacrificial system started later like after the Isrealites left Egypt or something...boy that really is just a guess.

Gina said...

Good point, Erin! I haven't found where God actually told Adam and Eve to sacrifice animals, but God killed the first animals and made clothes for Adam and Eve. After Abel's sacrifice, the next one I found was done by Noah after the flood. Abraham also sacrificed a lamb (instead of Isaac), which was provided by God (Gen 22), so He must have requested it, but it wasn't recorded...?