Sunday, January 25, 2009

Jan 27: Job 3-14

2 comments:

Jenn Cook said...

I enjoyed the comments in the devotional book, too, that Staci already mentioned...

I also liked the explanation found in my study Bible that some suffering comes not because of sin, but to bring glory to God. Which I have never really thought about it like that before.

I see now that Job was really down on everything that was happening to him and actually preferred death over life.

Also, a good point my study Bible noted was not to take what Job's friends said out of context since some of their words contradict the rest of the Bible...

Anita said...

As I read the "friends" comments, I wondered what it would be like if they were talking to someone today. It seemed that some of what they said made sense, and some of it was only hurtful to Job. (Although I guess they thought they were being helpful.) How often does that happen still in our day? Someone seems to be so sincere, but how do you know if they're really on to something, or are they just full of hot air? Or a combination of both? Questions I don't know the answers to! All that comes to mind is that in order to know what's truth, we have to know the One who is True. Also, "by their fruits you shall know them," (or something like that).