Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nov 17: 1 Sam 1-3:21

2 comments:

Lena T. said...

There were two things that struck me the most when I was reading today. First, God does the impossible for the ones who love him. Hannah womb was closed and it was impossible for her to have children. But God gave her a son and more than that she had three more sons and two daughters later on. Second, Samuel was not from a priestly family (though some speculate his father might have been a Levite, but not for sure) but the Lord chose him to serve Him in the temple and later to be His minister. But Eli's sons were wicked and were cast out from ministry to Him. Being born in the priestly (or Christian nowdays) family does not ensure the children's future destiny in service to Him. The Lord rebuked Eli for him letting his sons do their wicked deeds: "Why do you honor your sons more than me by fattening yourselves on the choice parts of every offering made by my people Israel?" The way we raise our children is so important.

Jenn Cook said...

ah, I lost what I just typed...I basically was saying how it must have been hard for Samuel to sleep - first because of his encounter with God and secondly for what he needed to tell Eli. I couldn't image hearing things that would make my ears tingle...just thinking about it is making my ears tingle!