Sunday, November 9, 2008

Nov 16: 2 Chron 5:2-9:31

3 comments:

Jenn Cook said...

My study Bible talked about Solomon and how he knelt to pray and was commenting on if Solomon showed us the proper posture for prayer. I have to admit I've been struggling a bit lately with prayer...not the actually praying part, but more if I'm praying "correctly". I'm not a big, let's get on my knees and pray type of person. I tend to have more "conversations" with God throughout the day on things that pop in my head and I was wondering if that was being disrespectful that I don't stop and kneel to pray. I haven't had time to really dive into "proper praying", but my study Bible said that what matters more than the posture of the body is the attitude of the heart. I agree with that! It shared that scripture shows many ways to prayer - bowing the head, looking up, and lying prostrate (have to say, if I laid flat on the ground for prayer...I'd fall asleep!)

I was also amazed at how many horse and stales Solomon had - 12,000 horses and 4,000 stales!

Sarah H. said...

Solomon's temple was so ornate and fantastic because it was Jesus dwelling place among the Israelites on earth. Jesus now lives in our hearts. While our churches should be dignified and well kept, I think they should be balanced with humility and appropriateness that reflect our obligation to take care of our fellow men (& women!!!) : ) Anyone else's thoughts?

Lena T. said...

Well, it took Solomon twenty years (half of his reign, he reigned for forty years) to build this temple and a lot of it was from the gifts of not just "church members" but neighbours too who came to gain wisdom from him. It was a truly unique temple in the whole history of Israel and was built as a glimps of how the heavenly temple would look like.