Sunday, October 26, 2008

Oct 30: Jud 17-21:25

4 comments:

Lena T. said...

I notiticed in earlier readings and in today's too that God wants the Israelites to have some sort of reminder of His intervention into their lives. It is either a pile of stones, an altar or simply a rock. My times when I doubt God's presence in my life I start looking for "rocks" that remind me of what He has done for me in the past. If He had been there then shouldn't He be here now with me?

Lena T. said...

I should not be making spelling mistakes. I meant to say "many times," not "my times."

Jenn Cook said...

I'm so with you, Lena, on looking for past "rocks"! And for me, sometimes it is the silly, very insignificant things that remind me that God is watching over and taking care of me! For example how I feel things always work out for me...like this week, my parents came for a somewhat surprised visit and originally we had our WOW meeting scheduled for the 29th. But a week before we rescheduled it so others could enjoy the Pumpkin Night...now realizing how my parents were hear visiting for a couple of days, it saved me a lot of stress trying to figure out how to spend time with them but also not having to reschedule the WOW meeting...like I said, sometimes it is the really silly things that I see in my life and know that God is watching out for me!

Jenn Cook said...

I found it interesting in my study Bible when it was talking about how the man gave his virgin daughter and the guest's concubine - that there was moral decay in his culture because people defined their values for themselves vs defining their values based on God's word. I think this is a very important point that we all need to be aware of, especially with the upcoming election. We need to make sure the candidates values are based on the Bible and not on their own values/morals.

And can I say - how gross! Cutting up his concubine into 12 parts...

It was interesting that the left-handed people (700 of them!) were used in battle to help with the element of surprise!

And how did you like the kidnapping of the girls to get a wife?! Can you imagine that is how you found your spouse? You were snatched while dancing? My study Bible was saying that this seemed to be the only way around the thoughtless vow they had made apart from the Lord's guidance on not allowing the Bengamites to take their daughters in marriage.