I can't stop yawning, either! Thankfully I read earlier in the day when I was a little more awake! I have to say that reading Leviticus certainly makes me feel so thankful that I didn't live back then. I don't think I could have kept all the rules and sacrifices straight and I think I would probably have needed to offer them every day! The blood of Jesus is sure amazing!
I was really struggling with the purpose of the book of Leviticus until I read this in Mark's study Bible - "The overwhelming message of Leviticus is the holiness of God - You must be holy because, I, the Lord your God, am holy (19:2). But how can unholy people approach a holy God? First sin must be dealt with. So the opening chapters of Leviticus give detailed instructions for offering sacrifices, which were the active symbols of repentance and obedience. Through the sacrifices/offerings we learn about the cost of sin, for we see that we cannot forgive ourselves. God's system says that a life must be given for a life."
There was more information provided about the book of Leviticus which I think really helped make it not such a sleepy/boring book to me!
3 comments:
I have to say reading through Leviticus really makes me sleepy...especially on a rainy day!
I can't stop yawning, either! Thankfully I read earlier in the day when I was a little more awake! I have to say that reading Leviticus certainly makes me feel so thankful that I didn't live back then. I don't think I could have kept all the rules and sacrifices straight and I think I would probably have needed to offer them every day! The blood of Jesus is sure amazing!
I was really struggling with the purpose of the book of Leviticus until I read this in Mark's study Bible - "The overwhelming message of Leviticus is the holiness of God - You must be holy because, I, the Lord your God, am holy (19:2). But how can unholy people approach a holy God? First sin must be dealt with. So the opening chapters of Leviticus give detailed instructions for offering sacrifices, which were the active symbols of repentance and obedience. Through the sacrifices/offerings we learn about the cost of sin, for we see that we cannot forgive ourselves. God's system says that a life must be given for a life."
There was more information provided about the book of Leviticus which I think really helped make it not such a sleepy/boring book to me!
Post a Comment