I have to say that I didn't understand why so many men had so many wives and that their wives would let their husband sleep with their maidservants too! Seems to go against God's instructions of one man and one woman union. My study Bible did address this by saying that although polygamy is incompatible with God's ideal, it apparently was one of many borderline practices God allowed during the Old Testament days. It essentially disappeared following the Babylonian captivity. By the time the early church was established, God made his idea for marriage clear in the qualifications for elders and deacons. Each was to have only one wife (1 Tim 3:2,12). The enduring principal is this:one man, one women, one flesh! It also said that God did warned that taking many wives was a dangerous thing (Deut 17:17).
I also like the clear understanding of the relationship of Joseph and Benjamin. I know the story about the coat of many colors and Joseph becoming King and when his brothers came to him for food, he asks about their younger brother Benjamin. I didn't realize that Joseph and Benjamin were brothers from Rachel - Jacob's most loved wife. Also, I didn't realize that Joseph's other 11 brothers came from 4 other mothers - something they really don't talk about in the kiddos in Sabbath School, huh?
I was wondering about Benjamin...who do you think ended up raising him as his mother died in childbirth? His mother's servant? Leah? It's hard to imagine that any of them would have much love for him. His lot in life must have been pretty miserable, especially after Joseph was sold into slavery.
in one google search it said that Benjamin was left to be raised by Jacob and all his wives - to Jenni's point on his life being pretty miserable, perhaps that is why Joseph was so concerned for him and also why he asked that his brothers bring Benjamin to him - just a big brother looking out for his little brother! I wonder though if the children who had one dad and tons of moms knew that they all came from different moms or if they were just one big "happy" family?! I guess since the Bible specifically calls out the different mothers for each child, then I guess the children were aware of having different mothers...gotta say, glad we only have one wife in this household! Even though and extra hands around the house would be nice...just no sleeping with my husband! :-)
3 comments:
wow - finally got through all that reading today!
I have to say that I didn't understand why so many men had so many wives and that their wives would let their husband sleep with their maidservants too! Seems to go against God's instructions of one man and one woman union. My study Bible did address this by saying that although polygamy is incompatible with God's ideal, it apparently was one of many borderline practices God allowed during the Old Testament days. It essentially disappeared following the Babylonian captivity. By the time the early church was established, God made his idea for marriage clear in the qualifications for elders and deacons. Each was to have only one wife (1 Tim 3:2,12). The enduring principal is this:one man, one women, one flesh! It also said that God did warned that taking many wives was a dangerous thing (Deut 17:17).
I also like the clear understanding of the relationship of Joseph and Benjamin. I know the story about the coat of many colors and Joseph becoming King and when his brothers came to him for food, he asks about their younger brother Benjamin. I didn't realize that Joseph and Benjamin were brothers from Rachel - Jacob's most loved wife. Also, I didn't realize that Joseph's other 11 brothers came from 4 other mothers - something they really don't talk about in the kiddos in Sabbath School, huh?
I was wondering about Benjamin...who do you think ended up raising him as his mother died in childbirth? His mother's servant? Leah? It's hard to imagine that any of them would have much love for him. His lot in life must have been pretty miserable, especially after Joseph was sold into slavery.
in one google search it said that Benjamin was left to be raised by Jacob and all his wives - to Jenni's point on his life being pretty miserable, perhaps that is why Joseph was so concerned for him and also why he asked that his brothers bring Benjamin to him - just a big brother looking out for his little brother! I wonder though if the children who had one dad and tons of moms knew that they all came from different moms or if they were just one big "happy" family?! I guess since the Bible specifically calls out the different mothers for each child, then I guess the children were aware of having different mothers...gotta say, glad we only have one wife in this household! Even though and extra hands around the house would be nice...just no sleeping with my husband! :-)
Post a Comment