"set a guard over my mouth, O lord, keep watch over the door of my lips"...it's nice to know that others need help with guarding their mouths, too...something I'm still working on.
I also like this reminder "for no one living is righteous before you" (Psalms 143:2)
I liked the beginning of Ps 141: "May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice." It made me think of the OT sacrifices. The frangrace from the sacrifices was pleasant to God if the sacrifice was brought with the right attitudes and unpleasant when it was just an obligation or a chore. It made me think of Genesis. At the beginning the Lord "looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor." Motivations and attitudes towards prayers are important!
Well, I wanted to be precise. I checked the Hebrew words and yes the word "offering" in Genesis is the same as "sacrifice" in Psalm 141:2. Just thought I would share...It helped me understand the text better...
4 comments:
"set a guard over my mouth, O lord, keep watch over the door of my lips"...it's nice to know that others need help with guarding their mouths, too...something I'm still working on.
I also like this reminder "for no one living is righteous before you" (Psalms 143:2)
I liked the beginning of Ps 141: "May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice." It made me think of the OT sacrifices. The frangrace from the sacrifices was pleasant to God if the sacrifice was brought with the right attitudes and unpleasant when it was just an obligation or a chore. It made me think of Genesis. At the beginning the Lord "looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor." Motivations and attitudes towards prayers are important!
Well, I wanted to be precise. I checked the Hebrew words and yes the word "offering" in Genesis is the same as "sacrifice" in Psalm 141:2. Just thought I would share...It helped me understand the text better...
Thanks Lena! I always appreciate you comments - and others comments too!
Post a Comment