Sunday, February 15, 2009

Feb 18: Prov 15, 17, 19

4 comments:

Sarah H. said...

I haven't got the verse in front of me, but I believe in Prov. 19 Solomon says no matter the number of goals/plans men may have, God's plan prevails. This hits home with me as I've always got a 'plan' for something...how imperative to remain prayeful about them to ensure they line up with God's.....or boot 'em out!

Jenn Cook said...

Amen, Sarah!

I love Proverbs! So many great texts to help us lead better lives and be better people!

Right off the bat "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a hard word stirs up anger".

I like what my study Bible says about your feelings..."Should I bottle up my feelings - not necessarily. Emotions are neither good nor bad. They're simply a part of our makeup. But depending on how emotions are used, they can either help or harm us in life. Proverbs makes the case for handling our emotions properly - they should not be denied or buried, but they should be governed by reason and an even temper (17:26). For example, it's certainly not sinful to feel upset when insulted. But to spew out anger in retaliation, says Proverbs, is foolish (12:16). Proverbs repeatedly condemns hotheaded individuals (vv. 16-17). Throttling high-running emotions and resisting the temptation to say something rash are vital to preserving our personal well-being (13:13). The ability to give a gentle answer in the face of an angry confrontation is a sign of deep character. The opposite of reckless anger is patience. Patience recognizes that a violent temper makes matters worse, inflicting further damage to relationships and even causing internal distress. A heard at peace give life to the body (v.30). Feeling are healthy. Telling others how we feel is appropriate. How we do that, however, should be consistent with the wisdom described in Proverbs".

Lena T. said...

Such wise words, Jen. Do you use NIV Study Bible?

Jenn Cook said...

yeap - it's the Quest NIV study Bible that I got at LES. I purchased one earlier and ended up giving it to someone that didn't have a Bible. Went back to LES and got worried since I couldn't find another one - but then there it was just one left. I really like this Bible a lot and the comments are really helpful!