Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dec 8: 1 Kings 1-4

3 comments:

Staci said...

So I loved the prayer that Solomon prayed to God when he asked for wisdom. I htought what a great way to pray for our families everyday.
Also, i had never considered that the fighting women were prostitutes, but i guess that explains how they were in their situation. Its funny how you can know a story from younger, but then you get new details as you read the actual story and with adult eyes.

Jen said...

I liked in the devotional book the importance of making sure we ALWAYS include God in our decision making - whether big or small - God IS interested and has input!

Like Staci, I didn't realize the women fighting over the living baby were prostitutes! Also, my study Bible said that Solomon had 700 wives - many were for political reasons...guaranteed peace with other regions - and he had 300 concubines! As you noticed in our reading, he did have a lot of mouths to fed!

Lena T. said...

I just read that Solomon did not want his brother Adonijah to marry the virgin girl who cared for David because she was already considered as part of the royal harem even though she was a virgin. And the possession of the royal harem was regarded as signifying the right of succession to the throne. He was already showong wisdom that God gave him but, of course, later it multiplied.