Thanks for your comment a couple days ago, Lena. I don't see a lot of comments here, so I don't feel too bad about leaving a pretty lame one! hehe! I was going to comment on what I read today, and then realized that I read SECOND Samuel instead of FIRST Samuel. Oops. It's so "me" to do something like that. I was just very disgusted by what Amnon did to Tamar, and then so disturbed by Absalom's "taking over" the kingdom from David. Where's the respect here? And what can we learn from this? The two stories are totally unrelated, but like Lena said about Eli's boys, raising our kids right is so important. Not to cast judgment on David, because as king, he was probably fairly uninvolved in the training of his children--that was probably left to the wives. And if he was not marrying them for love, but for "position" or "politics", he probably didn't concern himself with their individual characters, or philosophy on family matters. I am just so happy that I am blessed to be a lowly "normal person" and not in a position of power--our family can focus on the "home matters" and leave the "politics" and big problems to other unfortunate people ;-)
Hi Anita, I feel the same way. As soon as we become parents our priorities shift and I am glad to be just called a mom rather than being in some high positions. I would rather be low but be with my family serving Him. Not that Israel did not have good kings and good offsprings.
I found it interesting (again) in my study Bible in regards to Saul's punishment being so severe...it said he was more interested in what people thought than in obeying God's command. I wonder how many of us (including myself!) am too concerned about what other people think...all that matters is what God thinks and that I'm following his commands!
In the Bible reading I found it interesting that how Saul "was afraid of the people and so he gave into them. (1 San 15:24) and that is why he disobeyed God's command to destroy everything. I think too many times we can be shortsighted and lose the promises God provides for us just because we are afraid of those around us. As I was reading and it was talking about the ground shaking and the panic struck armies - it made me think of the Second Coming...there are going to be a lot of things that will be frightening, but we need to rest in comfort knowing that God is with us!
3 comments:
Thanks for your comment a couple days ago, Lena.
I don't see a lot of comments here, so I don't feel too bad about leaving a pretty lame one! hehe! I was going to comment on what I read today, and then realized that I read SECOND Samuel instead of FIRST Samuel. Oops. It's so "me" to do something like that. I was just very disgusted by what Amnon did to Tamar, and then so disturbed by Absalom's "taking over" the kingdom from David. Where's the respect here? And what can we learn from this? The two stories are totally unrelated, but like Lena said about Eli's boys, raising our kids right is so important. Not to cast judgment on David, because as king, he was probably fairly uninvolved in the training of his children--that was probably left to the wives. And if he was not marrying them for love, but for "position" or "politics", he probably didn't concern himself with their individual characters, or philosophy on family matters. I am just so happy that I am blessed to be a lowly "normal person" and not in a position of power--our family can focus on the "home matters" and leave the "politics" and big problems to other unfortunate people ;-)
Hi Anita,
I feel the same way. As soon as we become parents our priorities shift and I am glad to be just called a mom rather than being in some high positions. I would rather be low but be with my family serving Him. Not that Israel did not have good kings and good offsprings.
I found it interesting (again) in my study Bible in regards to Saul's punishment being so severe...it said he was more interested in what people thought than in obeying God's command. I wonder how many of us (including myself!) am too concerned about what other people think...all that matters is what God thinks and that I'm following his commands!
In the Bible reading I found it interesting that how Saul "was afraid of the people and so he gave into them. (1 San 15:24) and that is why he disobeyed God's command to destroy everything. I think too many times we can be shortsighted and lose the promises God provides for us just because we are afraid of those around us. As I was reading and it was talking about the ground shaking and the panic struck armies - it made me think of the Second Coming...there are going to be a lot of things that will be frightening, but we need to rest in comfort knowing that God is with us!
Post a Comment